For new-born parental care isn’t enough to ensure a child’s good health, regular health check-ups of the whole body by a specialist becomes mandatory. Children can grow up with a lot of medical challenges. They may need medical attention at a young age from specialized doctors in a child-centered environment.
General pediatrics refers to the diagnosis, treatment, and care provided by the medical practitioner (child specialist) for newborn babies, infants, children, and adolescents. At every development stage (i.e. from neonate till teenage), the general pediatricians can provide medical assistance for all kinds of short and long-term sicknesses that can range in severity and numbers of medical conditions. These child doctors can help maintain the well-being of their patients at a physical, emotional, and social level. The young individuals suffering from different medical conditions or illnesses are provided healthcare both as an outpatient and as a hospital case.
Community and Social Pediatrics
Includes school health teaching and vaccination programmes conducted on a community level for the benefit of underprivileged and for spreading awareness regarding health hygiene, social issues, sex education etc.
Why it is important to consult a General Pediatric Doctor?
General pediatric doctors are central medical specialists that are expert in providing the medical needs of a child. They have spent most of the years in education and training in their field and lastly have received medical board certification. These multifaceted primary care doctors can work together as a team with pediatric subspecialties and other surgical specialists for treating complex or multiple medical conditions.
Meeting with an expert child doctor is a part of a medical process to assess the medical condition of the affected child and diagnose their illnesses. Parents with children from 0 to 18 years of age must consult a general pediatrician to manage their overall health and wellness through some precautionary steps. Frequent visits to a general pediatrician are carried out for vaccination, treatment of congenital deformities, psychiatric and behavioral therapy, substance abuse services (for teenagers), monitor growth and development, and preventing diseases.
What all concerns are addressed by a General Pediatric Doctor?
General pediatricians are medical professionals that can diagnose and manage a broad range of health concerns such as:
- Acute bacterial, viral, parasitic, or fungal infections and recurring infections.
- Regular check-ups of newborns and infants.
- Infant feeding issues, distress, and sleep difficulties.
- Allergy to some food and drugs, hives, hay fever, asthma, and eczema. Other allergic conditions like, cow milk enteropathy, nut allergy, and food protein-induced enterocolitis syndrome.
- Continence issues, bed wetting, and gastrointestinal problems like constipation and abdominal pain.
- Diabetes, vitamin D deficiency (causing rickets), thyroid problems.
- Psychological and physical growth and development concerns. It includes puberty concerns such as hormonal changes.
- Behavioral issues like anxiety, depression, anger issues, oppositional and challenging conduct, language disorders and learning difficulties, and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
- Weight management.
- Treatment for a skin condition like fungal infection and diaper rashes.
- Neurological problems like having seizures, and headaches.
- Difficulty in breathing like snoring, prolonged cough, or exercise limitation.